Thursday, August 21, 2008

Beginners




The Snake continues to fish well this week, with consistent dry fly action throughout the day. I've had novice anglers the past few days, so it is sometimes hard to tell exactly how the fishing really is. With novices, only a small percentage of their casts ever seem to make it into the strike zone. I guided a rank beginner yesterday that had a lot of trouble casting any distance, so her fly was consistently out of the zone. She did catch a few small fish, and she also broke off two large fish, which tells me that it probably was a good day of fishing, even though we did not see much in the net. One of the most frustrating aspects of guiding beginners is trying to teach them how to play large fish without breaking them off. It is not easy. I'll be back on the Snake tomorrow, then we are headed to Thermopolis this weekend to fish with Darren Calhoun in the Wind River Canyon. It's our annual hopper event, in search of a trophy brown! Here are a couple of photos from previous Wind River trips.

1 comment:

Brian J. said...

great blog!

As a noob I've got to agree with the big fish handling difficulties! I've never been on a guided trip but I've managed to hook a LOT of big fish lately it's exciting... alas not a one has been landed :-(

So I know what you mean (though my perspective is the other side of the equation)-- I thought getting them on the hook would be the hardest part! But keeping them on is just as hard (if not harder)

thanks for the big brown trout pics. work is torture now. haha jk.

--Brian J.