Monday, May 3, 2010

Still Winter


For anyone following my journal and seeing the weather report at the top, you will know that winter is still hanging on around here. It's been a cool, wet week in Western Wyoming; the high country has picked up significant snowfall in the past few days. I'm getting more reports of friends skiing powder on Teton Pass than I am hitting local waters. The total precipitation in the Upper Snake River Basin has reached over 70% of average, which is great news. If this weather lasts much longer, we may actually see a longer runoff than I had previously thought. Time will tell. The Snake has been fishing well through this weather; I got some great reports from last week. The water is still low and clear (1,040 cfs at Moose, well below the average for this time of year which is about 2,800 cfs). Keep an eye out for Mother's Day Caddis on the Henry's Fork...should be any time. Sounds like the Big Hole is on fire right now, too. Streamer fishing, along with adult skwalas are keeping the action hot near Melrose. Give the boys at the Sunrise Fly Shop a call for details. For those of you tired of the cold, wet weather around here...enjoy this tropical photo of Jon "Law Dawg" Wylie with a great 'Cuda caught a couple of weeks ago near Ascension Bay, Mexico.

2 comments:

Chris "Jigidy" Jensen said...

Mark,

I was on the Henry's Fork several days last week and the Mother's Day Caddis were in full swing, pretty fun dry fly fishing each afternoon. I hear that it has slowed some with the cold weather this week.

Cheers,
Chris

Mark Fuller said...

Thanks for the report Chris! I have not been over, and you are the only one I know that's been...good to hear.