Sunday, September 19, 2010

Friends on the River




A good portion of my guiding clientele these days comes from local sources. I have a number of friends and acquaintances that hire me for themselves, or for their own friends and family that are visiting Jackson Hole. I always look forward to these bookings, they tend to be very fun. I had the chance to guide a handful of friends over the last week or so, and the fishing was great. Great fishing is always a treat, but it is particularly nice when I get to take locals. The Snake and South Fork are in great shape right now. Early fall weather has arrived; clear skies, warm temps and changing colors are making a feast for the eyes on the water right now. Big game is also starting to move near the river. The icing on the cake is that the fish are aggressively looking for flies. Although the nights are getting colder, I've still been finding eager fish on dries in the mornings, particularly on the Snake. The Snake at Moose is hovering at a low 1,400 cfs. Nice fish are still showing up in the main river channel. The South Fork has been turning on later in the day; hoppers and Caddisflies are working well over there. The next couple of weeks looks busy, and then it starts to slow down for me...time to fish! I've got a few great trips planned, more soon on that. I've added a new link on my list below to check out...visit Montana Angler Fly Fishing if you are planning any kind of angling adventure to Big Sky country. Here's a few photo highlights from last week. A nice group of Elk crossing the river in Teton Park; my buddy George Putnam displaying one of many nice fish he caught on his birthday with me; lastly, Al Renneisen with one of the more colorful Snake River Cutties I've seen awhile.

No comments: