Thursday, October 21, 2010

Amazing Weather


We are now going on seven weeks of some of the most amazing Fall weather that I have ever seen since living in Wyoming. The temperatures have been reaching highs into the middle 60's with calm winds and abundant sunshine. The foliage is still hanging on in many parts of the valley too. This time of year, the weather can go either way. It can literally cool down and begin to snow in September some years; this year has been an absolute treat. If you're chasing Brown trout right now, I'm sure you are wishing for a weather change. Since fishing the South Fork last week, I've only been out fishing once. Stan Czarniak and I walked the Snake yesterday below Moose under these perfect weather conditions. The fishing was OK...not great. There was not much of a hatch, and the streamer bite was marginal. As an avid Fall angler, I must say it is time for a weather shift. The amazing weather unfortunately has its consequences on the fishing. Bright skies makes these fish nervous; cloudy, foul weather would also spark some serious BWO's, Midges and a streamer bite too. Stan and I are leaving tomorrow with four days ahead of us on the Missouri River in central Montana. For those of you who know me well, you know how much I love this river and the region it flows through. The weather up there lately has been similar...very warm and bright. The most recent report I've received was that fish were actually still looking at hoppers! The forecast looks good for the weekend up there...increasing clouds with a few showers. Bring on the hatch! We'll keep our fingers crossed. Either way, heading North to Big Sky country this time of year always promises to be a great trip. Fall in Montana is not a season, but a state of mind that I look forward to experiencing all year. Enjoy a couple of photos here from prior trips to Montana. Scott Smith snapped this first amazing shot of myself and Meeks Krueger fishing the Clark Fork. The second one is a sunset shot after taking out on the Big Hole. Lastly, here's a typical Missouri River 'Bow. More soon...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great shot! I remember waking up on the Mo. one morning of that trip with an inch of ice collapsing my shitty 2 1/2 season tent! Amazing. I didn't know you had that picture.... I just made it my new Fall desktop photo. Glad you made it through another season. Thanks for the memories.
Meeks

Mark Fuller said...

Good to hear from you Meeks. Shoot me an email so I can get your address...don't know if I have a current one. Good memories from Montana for sure.