Sunday, January 9, 2011

Tyin' Flies




With the busy holiday season now behind us, fly-tying season is now just beginning for me. Although I love fly-tying, I unfortunately don't do it consistently enough. Once the fishing and guiding season begins, I often have very little time to devote to it. The first part of the year is when I typically find some extra time to sit down at the vise and whip out some bugs. By this time of year, I'm starting to think about the upcoming fishing season, and tying some flies just makes sense now. With our snowpack at over 100% of average right now and frigid temps almost every day, wetting a line right now is just not an option around here. For those of you that know me or have fished with me, you'll recall that I row a South Fork Skiff, which is a low-sided driftboat, meant to fish out of in a sitting position. Most of the boats that you see drifting on Western water these days are higher sided, with casting braces that allow anglers to stand as they fish. There are different theories as to which one is "better"; in general it's a personal preference. Although many anglers have an easier time casting distance while standing, it is generally thought that in a sitting position, there is less chance of spooking fish, particularly any fish that are feeding on top. Sight fishing to large, spooky fish from Skiffs is the way to go. Low-pros also tend to do a little better in the wind. I have always been an avid believer in low profile skiffs or "prams". The South Fork Skiff that I row (now owned by Ro Driftboats) has always done me well. There's a new player now on the market that is worth checking out. Click the link here to learn more about Adipose Boats, out of Helena, Montana. These Missouri River guides look like they have designed a sweet product. I've attached a couple of pictures too. These boats look great! http://www.adiposeboatworks.com/ I'd also like to shout out to my photographer buddy Jeff Diener. He just launched a great new stock photography site worth looking at: http://www.jacksonholegallery.com/ I've known Jeff for many years; we've spent a lot of time together skiing and fishing, often while I'm on the other side of his lens. If you're looking for some great images, don't miss this local talent.

3 comments:

Todd said...

Mark,
Great blog/reports. Thanks for sharing. I was wondering if you have rowed one of those Adipose skiffs yet. If so what are your thoughts on the rig.
Have a great winter. Todd

Mark Fuller said...

Hey Todd,
Great to hear from you. Just checked out your website...good stuff! I have not rowed an Adipose boat yet. I'm hoping to hook up with these guys this spring for a day on the oars to test drive one. I don't need a new boat quite yet, but it's fun to shop! Stay in touch.

Todd said...

Thanks Mark.I may be in MT. in April this year. If so I hope to check out a few boats while I'm there. It's always good to "kick the tires" of the new models. Looking forward to your review.