Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day!


Wow, is it already the third week of March? Although we just had another huge storm last night that dumped 17" of snow in the mountains, spring really seems to be just around the corner. Reports of good fishing on the Henry's Fork and South Fork keep coming across my radar. I'll finally be hitting the water for the first time in 2011 on Saturday...probably wadefishing the South Fork. Stay tuned for a report.
Late March also means something else for anglers in this region: Skwala Stoneflies. Although it is not typically a prolific or widespread hatch, the emergence of these mottled stoneflies on certain Western Rivers in March means anxious anglers can hit the water with large fly patterns in search of hungry trout. Most anglers flock to the Bitterroot River, south of Missoula, in search of these bugs this time of year. I hear it's already started. Don't count out the Big Hole River either...I've hit it pretty good up there too this time of year. For the latest report, make sure to visit with Ryan at The Sunrise Fly Shop in Melrose, Montana. In other news...I have not heard much since my last post on the Montana "Ditch Bill" that is ready to be voted on, stay tuned.
Enjoy some photos...Chris Stump with a gorgeous Big Hole Brown that fell for a Skwala a few years back; a nice image of a Skwala Stonefly; and...a shot of an incredible 25 pound Permit that I just found on Facebook. Supposedly this guy was on his first saltwater trip in the Yucatan and came across this behemoth...wow! More soon!

1 comment:

Rosemary said...

Nice catch he got there! I wish I was that lucky. Catching some anglers in Bitterroot River sounds amazing.

koh lanta hotels