Sunday, August 14, 2011

Can't We All Get Along?


The Snake River through Grand Teton National Park is probably one of the prettiest and most unique places around to take a float fishing trip. The special use permit that we operate under (via Jack Dennis) allows me to take commercial trips here and show anglers the beauty of the Tetons while throwing flies to native trout. Many other users also enjoy the water every day, including people in kayaks, rafts, and private fishing boats. There is also a heavy presence of scenic float trips. Private companies offer raft trips down the same sections of river that we guide on, looking for wildlife and admiring the Tetons. Over the years, many of the fishing guides have experienced at least some difficulty working side by side with these commercial rafts. There has been an unspoken rivalry between between us, whereby the fishing guides are often left to feel like the commercial guides are the ones that "own" the river and its boat ramps. Small confrontations happen a few times a summer between the guides on the river, and in parking areas. Sadly, I was the random victim of vandalism on Friday, when after parking my truck and trailer at Moose (to float down to Wilson), someone in the commercial parking lot drained one of my tires, and located my hidden shuttle key and discarded it. Apparently, someone else using that parking facility has not been happy with the way in which the commercial fishing guides have been parking there. It was a totally pathetic move, and can't imagine how someone gets to a point where they would attack someone's vehicle. Upon arriving in Wilson, my clients and I were left with no vehicle, and a message from my shuttle driver that my truck had been disabled. Not a great way to end the day. To all my fellow guides reading this: be aware! I know that we will continue to use the river and its boat ramps with the highest of standards, and would never stoop to such a level. If by some stroke of luck the person that did this is reading my blog, could you just simply let us know what the problem is with our parking? Thanks...



I was fortunately able to spend the day Saturday not thinking about this entire situation. Instead, I was thinking about the stellar fishing I was having on my day off with my buddy Stan Czarniak. Here's a few shots from our marathon float. More soon!

No comments: