Sunday, April 14, 2013

All Smiles

It sounds like Winter has returned to Wyoming this week, with more people now chasing springtime powder skiing than rising trout. Most of my buddies have been reporting excellent spring fishing conditions this year on the Snake, South Fork and Henry's Fork. We've been doing more skiing lately than anything else around the Pacific Northwest. I've have not been out for any Steelhead angling in recent weeks, but did sneak out for a morning of Salmon fishing last Saturday on the Willamette River. It's the beginning of "Springer" season here...a strong annual run of Spring Chinook Salmon are heading up the Columbia River and it's tributaries right now and it's getting better by the day. Thanks again to my buddy Michigan Mike for showing me the ropes last weekend! I attended the annual Native Fish Society fundraising auction in Portland last night. It was a blast! This non-profit is doing incredible work in the Pacific Northwest ensuring that Wild Steelhead and Salmon will have a better chance of survival in our future. I was able to meet many local legends around my new fly fishing community here. Check out their website. I'm not always fond of posting too many "grip and grin" pictures, but I couldn't resist these two shots that I came across recently. First, here's a mammoth 14 pound Argentine Brown Trout that my co-worker Trey Scharpe had the pleasure of guiding this happy angler to over the winter. And lastly, but not least, is my good buddy Dave Decker hoisting a 20 pound Belizean Permit that he bumped into while fishing at the Belcampo Lodge, in Punta Gorda, Belize. Nice job Dave!

No comments: