Thursday, August 6, 2009

Moose To Wilson Beware


I've been guiding on the Snake all week with fairly good results. Deadman's to Moose Monday and Tuesday both saw decent fishing in the morning, and slower action in the afternoon. Both days were very bright, with little cloudcover. I fished Wednesday from Moose to Wilson under thick cloudcover and had fantastic dry fly fishing from start to finish. Cutthroat were eating chernobyl ants almost everywhere we put them. I decided to go for it again today, and spent the first four hours in a sidechannel, moving slowly and picking up fish everywhere we put a fly. Again, the chernobyl ant fishing was pretty hot. At about 1 pm, I found my way back to the main river to find it dirty! There was very silty water meeting the channel we were coming out of. Sure enough, about 500 feet upstream was a large backhoe digging near the dike for some reason. We pushed ahead hoping to find clearer water, and then found another backhoe near the R Lazy S ranch doing the same thing. The fishing died below the second backhoe. I think I'll wait a few days before returning to that stretch. Anyone out there know how long these guys will be digging? Here is Mark Waslick with a great fish we found this morning...a nice 17" cutty. More soon!

No comments: