Saturday, August 22, 2009

Wind River Canyon











As many readers may know, I try to do at least one trip to the Wind River Canyon near Thermopolis each summer to fish with Darren Calhoun. The section of river that cuts the canyon below Boysen Reservoir can only be floated with a guide under the Wind River Indian Reservation permit. It holds very large Brown and Rainbow trout that fall for large dry flies in fast whitewater and on grassy banks. It can be tough, technical fishing, but the rewards are worth it. Put it on your fishing "to do" list and visit Darren's website from my link list below. I opted not to go earlier this summer due to very high water and also decided to skip my usual late August trip this year for other reasons. I mentioned this to a very good client of mine a few weeks ago, and he decided to completely spoil me and four of his friends yesterday; we flew to Thermopolis and spent the day in the canyon with three guides. None of the other five people had been there before and they were pleasantly surprised. Fishing should be great there this fall, so start a Wind River fund and give Darren a call! As for local fishing, the Snake is still doing great on dries up and down the river. I'm headed to the Green River today with Rachael and Charlotte to camp, so hopefully I'll have a Warren Bridge report soon.

No comments: