Thursday, October 15, 2009

Anticipation


I look forward to planning any fishing trip almost as much as I enjoy taking the trip itself. I've spent most of the day today happily organizing gear and food for my next adventure to Montana. Stan Czarniak and I will have the next four days to ourselves on the Big Hole River in Southwestern Montana. Typically this time of year we are heading to the Big Horn or the Missouri, but given how much water the Big Hole has had this year, and how well it fished, we thought we would try it in the fall. My normal Big Hole excursion is in the springtime, before runoff, so this will be a treat! The excitement of heading to Montana in the fall is hard to explain. Fall in Montana is not just a season, but it is a state of mind. Wide open spaces, great foliage, world class fishing and unique people make a trip through Big Sky country this time of year a must. My yearly fall Montana excursion is therapy for the soul. The weather in the region has finally turned a little warmer; temps around Jackson are back into the 50's, which should really light up the Snake. Look for fish podded up in their winter holes, munching mahoganies and baetis in the afternoons. There should be some nice noses up! Don't forget the South Fork; with the levels at 3,130 cfs below the dam, and a mere 1,100 near Heise, the float and wade fishing should be fantastic right now. Here is a shot of my buddy Jon Wylie from the Beaverhead River, in Montana from last weekend. A very healthy rainbow...nice Jon!

No comments: