Tuesday, December 15, 2009

One Fly Board



The Jackson Hole One Fly board typically meets in mid-December to make evaluations and decisions on who will be fishing in the upcoming event. As some of you may know, I made my debut in the 2009 event as an angler (instead of a guide), on team This Is Fly. John Holland, Jon Wylie and Peter Chung have applied again, and have invited me to fish with them again! After guiding in the event for so many years, I was not sure what to expect when I competed in it this year. It really exceeded my expectations...it was a lot of fun. I'll gladly show up this year with this team...hopefully we can beat our ninth place finish from 2009. This week finally saw some better snowfall in the valley and the mountains. The higher elevations picked up a few feet of snow over the weekend, which is great news for skiers. It's also great news for anglers, since we need to start building our snowpack for our 2010 water year. We've made great strides concerning our reservoir levels over the past two years, it would be a setback to see a drought winter this year. At the moment, we seem to be in an "El Nino" flow, which typically does not bring us much moisture. The jet stream is splitting, bringing snow to the southwest, and the northwest, but bypassing much of the northern Rockies. Hopefully, this will change as the winter progresses. My daughter Charlotte turned 2 years old on Sunday. Among other things, she got her very first pair of skis! For now, she'll learn to walk with them on...one step at a time. While we wait for more snow, my thoughts will always drift to fly fishing. I've been daydreaming about the Wind River Canyon lately...hmmm. Here's a great shot of me and Darren Calhoun with a typical canyon brown. More soon!

1 comment:

Matt V said...

those don't look like Markers or Salomons? Not very fat skiis either.
Sorry, i'm in a ball busting mood.
Tell Charlotte: "Uncle Matt says HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"