Sunday, February 7, 2010

Winter Fishing in Montana



I decided to take a quick road trip this weekend up to Dillon, Montana to meet up with my good friend Brian Hodges and do some fishing. The weather forecast looked right; highs in the high 30's to low 40's with sunny skies. There isn't much opportunity to fish in Jackson Hole this time of year, it does not get quite warm enough. We met up early on Saturday morning, grabbed some breakfast at Sparky's in Dillon (highly recommended), and then headed for Poindexter Slough. I had always heard of this piece of water, but had yet to fish it. It tends to be crowded during summer and fall (when I am usually in the area), so I've always passed it up. We hit a beautiful day and had decent fishing. We didn't see anything over 17", but netted a handful of Brown's on streamers with the place to ourselves. I was expecting to grab a room with Brian, and he let me know that he had arranged a room for us with his good friends Jay Burgin and Mary Jacques, proprietors of the world famous Five Rivers Lodge. It was a great getaway. We had cocktails and dinner, while talking fly fishing under the Montana moon. They graciously opened up a room for us, and we woke today to another beautiful day in Montana. We put a couple of hours in on the Beaverhead, before coming home. If anyone reading this is ever thinking of a Montana getaway, the Five Rivers Lodge is just great. They work the Big Hole, Beaverhead, Jefferson, Ruby and Madison Rivers. The accommodations are great, and Jay literally houses the largest fly selection in Montana in his fly shop...it's something to see. Visit them at www.fiveriverslodge.com. Here's a photo of the lodge. We've picked up a little more snow here in the past week, but our snow water equivalent is still a little low, hovering around 60% of normal. At this point, I'm predicting an earlier start to our fishing season...but don't hold me to it. More soon!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It sounds like a nice get-a-way. I have been looking for some winter trout and bass fishing, with out have to go out on the ice. I recently booked a trip to Saratoga, Wyoming, I found on www.huntfishguide.com

Mark Fuller said...

My main goal was just to get out of town, and we lucked out on getting the right weather. Saratoga should be great. Some of the best winter trout fishing can be on the Big Horn River in South Central Montana, but it is a bitch to get to from here.