Sunday, August 22, 2010

Tougher River




The fishing on the Snake got a little harder this past week. Hot temperatures and very clear skies for most of the week kept many of the fish lockjawed around my boat. The brief cloudcover that I saw on Thursday morning sparked the river for a few hours, which was great news for my buddy Peter Chung who was in my boat. It further reinforced my theories on bright conditions and good fishing on the Snake this time of year; bright days can be tough and overcast skies are best! The river continues to drop, and the fish are becoming even more concentrated. We're approaching 1,600 cfs at Moose. The Art Association Art Fair is going on this weekend in Jackson at Miller Park. I took the girls down for a few hours today to check it out. There were a number of vendors exhibiting some great fly-fishing related art, including my friend Larry Stephenson. Larry resides in Wichita, Kansas, and puts out some very colorful and fun fishing related prints. I'll be fishing with him this week, so look for a photo soon. Click on his link off of my link list below to learn more about him. I spent the day yesterday in the Wind River Canyon on my annual trip to visit Darren Calhoun near Thermopolis, Wyoming. I headed over in style with Tom Smith on board his Cheyenne Piper, and had a great day. The temps in Thermopolis hit almost 100 degrees yesterday. Despite this, the fishing was solid, with many nice fish caught in fast water. Getting wet through the whitewater was sure a bonus. Click on Darren's link below, as well, to learn more about the unique product he offers on the Wind River. Here are a few shots from yesterday. Tom Smith with a fish on; a typical Wind River Brown; the view from the cockpit coming home last night near a local wildfire. More soon...

No comments: