Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Fall Hatch



With the flip of a switch this week, we've gone from Summer to early Fall around here. Temperatures have cooled and the foliage is really taking off in Teton Park. Cottonwoods, Aspens and river bottom Willows are all starting to turn gold. The thick clouds and rain that we saw on Friday brought the first decent Fall hatch on the Snake; Mahoganies and Drakes began pouring off in the afternoon, and there were eager Cutthroat up all over the place taking advantage. My clients decided to stick it out and brave the weather, and it really paid off. If you are out there in these conditions in the next few weeks, just make sure to park on a riffle and look for these Mayflies. The Snake is still running a steady 4,330 cfs at Moose, which is still significantly higher than normal for this time of year. Whenever the powers-that-be decide to lower our river below Jackson Lake Dam, I think we are going to see some ridiculous fishing. I would imagine that we will still see these flows for at least two more weeks. As soon as I hear something, I will let you know. I had a great day on the river from Moose to Wilson on Wednesday with Jackson Hole legend Liz McCabe. This was the first day this season that I had Liz in my boat, and she did great. She fished a Parachute Hare's Ear for almost eight hours, and kicked butt! Not bad for someone who turned 100 years old last February. Nice fish Liz! Fishing with someone that has as much zeal for life and fly fishing as Liz does is just incredible.

No comments: