Wednesday, April 2, 2014

I'm Still Here...

Long time, no speak! I'm embarrassed to say just how long it's been since my last blog post (so I won't...you can see for yourself:)). Life in Portland has been good, but hectic. Fly-fishing has been off the radar since a handful of Steelhead trips last Fall. The winter was filled with skiing alongside my wife and two daughters. Time to start thinking about fishing! Back in Wyoming, the Absaroka, Teton and Wind River Mountain ranges were blessed with record-breaking snows this year. Snowpack levels in these areas are ranging from 140%-160% of normal...incredible! As always, great news for our fisheries...tough news for anglers trying to plan around a potential record-breaking runoff. Trout fishing around Oregon has been kicking into gear over the past month...specifically March Browns on the Deschutes River. I've received solid reports of Snake River Cutthroat coming to the net frequently on the Snake River. (March/April can be two great sleeper months on the Snake). I'm considering coming back for a guiding stint later in 2014...we'll see. Although my recent involvement in Grand Teton Fly Fishing has been limited , I'm still very passionate about our story and success!
My main inspiration for sitting down to the computer tonight comes from my good friend Ryan Griffin and his recent trip to the Palometa Club. Ryan caught a good case of "Permit-itis" on a recent trip to Honduras. He landed his first and only Permit there, and became ruined for life. He just returned from an epic trip to one of my favorite places...The Palometa Club...located on the edge of Ascension Bay, in Punta Allen, Mexico. It's widely considered the best place in the world to fly fish for these elusive creatures. I had the fortune of going there in April of 2007, early on in the lodges' history. Since then, it's developed into a premier, but laid back spot to hunt for Mr. Palometa. The lodge just reached a milestone this past week...Permit #1000 was landed (and released) by one of their clients. Check out this video to learn more...

2 comments:

Hopper said...

So we may see some guiding from WY again later this year?!?!?!?!?! I sure hope, miss the posts from WY

Mark Fuller said...

It'll depend on my job hunt in the NW :) Would love to make a guest appearance!