Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Spring On The Big Hole

I had a great call the other day with my Grand Teton Fly Fishing partner Scott Smith. He and Bruce James have set up our retail fly shop on Broadway, and have officially kicked off the 2014 season! With record snowpack sitting up in the high country, anglers and guides alike are all wondering when rivers like the Snake and Green will ultimately be ready to fish this summer. By looking at the USGS graphs (which I have in my link list to the right), recent warm weather has kicked off some runoff on the Snake...very good news! For those that know me well, this is one of my favorite times of year to get some early season fishing in on the Big Hole River, in Southwestern Montana. I've spent many April days over the years in my boat between Divide and Glen, searching for fish up on Skwalas, and underneath on big buggers. I'd like to share a photo I just received from my buddy Ryan Barba. He owns the Sunrise Fly Shop, on the banks of the Big Hole River, in Melrose, Montana. If you haven't been there, you better get up there to meet him. He runs a fine fly shop and guide service that can show you some of the prettiest country in all of Montana. The reports from the river lately are excellent...big fish are waking up to eat! I also wanted to mention that Grand Teton Fly Fishing is proud to be participating in a growing event over in Victor, Idaho this year. Casting 4 A Cure will be in Victor in late August for a two day fundraising event to help raise money to find a cure for Rett's Syndrome. Please visit the link to learn more about this disease and what you can do! We will have some of our guides on the water during the event, alongside Worldcast Anglers, in order to raise money and awareness. Can't wait! The weather in the Pacific Northwest has been looking up...still trying to get over to the Deschutes River, look for a report soon!

No comments: