Saturday, September 5, 2009

End Of Summer


It's Labor Day Weekend already, which is hard to believe. This summer has absolutely flown by. Since June was so wet and cool this year, we really only had about two months of real summer. For me, Labor Day marks the beginning of my favorite time of year around here. The next two months can offer up some of the best weather and best fishing that we see all year. The mornings are starting to get much cooler, and the cottonwood leaves are beginning their transition from green to yellow. Everyone is talking about how great our fall fishing will be this year due to the surplus of water we've had, and the late start to fishing. I've been guiding back up in Teton Park the past few days, and the fishing has been more consistent for me than it was in the Snake River Canyon earlier in the week. The past three days have seen action all day on big chernobyl ants, hoppers and a variety of mayfly patterns, including drakes and mahoganies. It's amazing how each day can be so different. I guided Pacific to Deadman's yesterday with some regular clients who can fish very well. We had excellent action on dry flies, but could not find a single fish all day over 15". Other guides I talked to had a similar day on that stretch. Today, I guided a couple I had never fished with before from Deadman's to Moose, and we stumbled across some much nicer fish. Along with skill, fly selection and fishing conditions, I truly believe luck sometimes plays a role. Here is Becky Rauth with a near 20" beauty...taken on a big chernobyl ant in the main river. Here's to a great holiday weekend and the upcoming Jackson Hole One Fly!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Labor Day, dude! Just wanted to let you know that I really enjoy the blog. I read it every week and check back often for updates. I like that it helps me feel "connected" to the fishing around the Hole and what I miss about it. Thanks for keeping it updated so often and keep up the good work! I hope all is well with you and the family. Meeks

Mark Fuller said...

Glad you are enjoying it from Oregon! Things are well with the family, thanks for the good thoughts. We'll miss ya at the One Fly this year. Stay in touch!

Unknown said...

Mark, love the blog. Thanks for an epic day on the river. Becky is still fired up about that fish you helped her land.

Hope to see you next summer. Nick