Friday, September 25, 2009

Spotty Fishing




The fishing on the Snake River this week was very spotty. There was not much consistency on any of the sections that I fished, and many of the other guides I've been speaking to lately have reported the same. I've certainly found some nice fish to eat each day, but not in any great numbers. Chernobyl ants and larger attractors are still producing, however, the larger fish seem to be falling for smaller mayfly patterns. Size 10 and 12 drakes, as well as royal wulfs and parachute adams are working well for me. The past couple of days in the valley have seen some serious smoke from nearby fires. Today was particularly bad on the eyes and lungs. It's made for some great sunsets, though. For the second time this summer, there is some work going on between Moose and Wilson involving backhoes and bulldozers. Just below the Teton Park boundary, on the West side of the river, there is a fairly large project going on along the levee that is putting mud into the river. I called game and fish today in hopes of getting a timeline on this, and to see if this is actually permitted. I've not heard back from them yet. I'd be aware if you are floating this section, or Wilson to South Park next week...you may see the river turn green. I may be headed to the South Fork for some guiding next week, so hopefully I can give a detailed report on fishing there. The river is holding at about 7,000 cfs right now. I spent the day Wednesday with local skiing (and fishing) legend George Putnam, and his dad, Tom. We fish together every year and have a blast. Here is George with the fish of the day, taken on a size 16 mahogany...a 20" cutty with great color. Nice fish George!

No comments: