Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Two Different Rivers


Guiding for Jack Dennis allows our guide staff an incredible amount of flexibility on where we can float, due to the number of permits Jack holds in Grand Teton National Park, Bridger-Teton National Forest and the Pinedale BLM. Where we decide to go each day is based on many factors. Certainly, the quality of fishing is paramount; if it is not fishing well somewhere, we simply won't go. We also consider the character of water to be guided; fast water may not suit a beginner angler. The Teton Park floats are often considered the most scenic, which many clients value. Lastly, we will not overload all of our boats on one stretch; each morning, the guides meet to figure out who is going where. Most of my guiding in recent weeks has been on the Teton Park sections of the Snake river, above Wilson Bridge. All of the reports I've been getting from other guides on some of the lower stretches have been very good. I guided the last two days from Astoria to West Table, in the Snake River Canyon. Both days were very tough; I felt like I was on a different river compared to the Teton Park water. We fished hard both days, throwing everything we had at them; big dries, small dries, nymphs...you name it. The fish were few and far between. The few fish that were around were very nervous and hesitant to eat our flies. On top of this, we've just had two of the windiest days of the summer, which did not help. When I took out today at West Table, I ran into another guide from a different outfitter who has been fishing down there a lot; he said it's been stellar fishing until yesterday. Oh well...something changed. I'm off to the Park again tomorrow...it will be interesting to see if it has slowed as well. As the summer progresses, the Snake typically goes through phases and each section of river can get a little moody. Tomorrow is a new day! Here is local angler Barb Burris with a nice cutty from a few days ago. Barb is a ski host at the mountain in the winter, and a trout bum in the summer. Nice fish Barb!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Happy Labor Day, dude! Just wanted to let you know that I really enjoy the blog. I read it every week and check back often for updates. I like that it helps me feel "connected" to the fishing around the Hole and what I miss about it. Thanks for keeping it updated so often and keep up the good work! I hope all is well with you and the family. Meeks